Two very interesting photos here, one of my transport pass (nice pic) and one of the perplexing form I received in the post yesterday telling me to go the Post Office to collect something. Disappointingly, the 'something' turned out to be a completely incomprehensible letter from Prazska Plynarenszka (or similar), the Gas Company, which I assume is a demand for payment although it may not be. And there I was, hurrying to the post office with a skip in my step, wondering which of my lovely friends may have sent me a parcel! Ha ha, I can dream eh!
Recently I have been spending a bit of time getting to know my new friends and colleagues out here. Our merry band is growing and the last additions will arrive tomorrow night, upon which I assume we'll go to our traditional First Night haunt, a fine pizzeria called Red Flower down on Vinohradska. Chris, I, Katie, Lyn and Aileen were all treated to our first official Welcome to Prague dinner there, so it's time to do the same for Tara and possibly the mysterious Dave. (this is a person who we think will be working with us, but haven't heard from for some time. We're sure he's here somewhere!)
Life is forming some kind of routine right now - a morning run every couple of days, today's being the sixth so far and noticeably easier than the previous attempts; followed by a coffee and some Internet time, then lunch (rohliky, syr a synka, voda, chipsy); after that some kind of 'afternoon activity' or jobs which need to be done (usually involving form-filling); then a rendezvous around 6pm for beer and food. It's a nice life, really! Yesterday I found myself declaring to Chris that I was looking forward to getting into the routine of work, but when I think about it, I'm more than happy really to live my life in this gentle pattern, needing to be only where I decide I need to be...
We think that we are going to try to do a Wednesday Night Social each week, to get us through the first few difficult weeks of our new jobs, and to make sure that we spend at least some time not doing work! In addition I've got the weekly CS meeting on Thursday nights to look forward to, so it's shaping up to be a healthy balance of work and fun already. I like that (as you all know).
I have a happy succession of visitors lined up already: kicking off with Sir Anthony of Constable mid-September, followed hot on the heels by Pauly M, and proceeding to good old Mum n' Dad in October. Anyone else who fancies a City Break, I have a lovely orange sofa all ready and waiting for you!
Tomorrow is the Great Internet Connection Day, and then I may do another walk in the afternoon, now that the Storm of All Storms has broken the heat and it seems to suddenly be Autumn. And then... Thursday... it's off to EISP for my first day!
Thank you for reading - apologies for poor content of late - rest assured that there will doubtless be silly stories aplenty once work gets going! The difficulties of merely pronouncing the names of our International students will, I am sure, be worth noting...
Love to all x
No comments:
Post a Comment