The picture you see here is from the Couchsurfing Tea Tasting morning which I attended on Sunday - we tried the newly-arrived Japanese teas and Janko (the tea master) gave us an explanation of his teas and how they were harvested, and explained the different flavours. It was a lovely sociable morning with many other Couchsurfers from all different places. If you are unfamiliar with Couchsurfing see www.couchsurfing.org - a great way to make new friends in your city.
Since then I have mostly been eating. Chris and I have tried a different restaurant each night, if I can remember the order rightly since my arrival (A WEEK AGO - how time flies) it was pizza, Czech, pizza, Chris's cooking, Czech, Czech, Indian. I must keep a list of all the interesting specialities and downright silly menu translations I come across - favourites this week include Cheap Cheese, Hidden Meat and Grandma's Meatball. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, neither of us was quite brave enough to tuck into Grandma's Meatball, but I am sure there will come a time...
We ate Indian last night and commented on the fact that it was 'like being at home' - that just about sums up English food for you! It was quite tasty but not my favourite meal out so far - that would be the 3 kinds of fried cheese eaten a couple of nights ago. Now you see why I have been driven to take up running. Happily I do actually seem to be losing weight despite the meals, but then, if you live at the top of a hill and walk up and down it at least 3 or 4 times a day, you've got to be on to a winner on the fitness front.
I'm off to my local GE Moneybank today to collect my debit card which has apparently arrived. I have to say, it was surprisingly (thankfully) easy to set up the bank account, largely owing to the fact that Chris had already done his and so paved the way with the lovely bank ladies for me to do the same - what a charmer. But the whole process went exceedingly smoothly and soon I will have spending power! Which will come in handy when we make our return trip to Ikea and I furnish my flat with two bright red chairs I've got my eye on.... yes my first ever trip to Ikea was yesterday, though we were carless so just had a look and decided what to buy when we return with transport, and finally I saw what all the fuss was about! What a great place. I shall have to go back. (The lure of 20kc fried cheese in the restaurant is just too much to resist).
So today's adventures involve the bank, and then purchasing some sturdy walking shoes as my poor feet need some support! Who knows what tonight's dinner will serve up - there was talk last night of playing Czech Menu Roulette - involving deliberately not obtaining the English menu and just choosing something, anything, at random.
But if it ends up being Grandma's Meatball, I think I'll go hungry, thanks.
Hoping everyone is well x
Pfft, I hear Grandma's Meatball its incredibly tasty; full of anecdotes about knitting and cooking tips.
ReplyDeleteIKEA is wonderful if you are the one buying. Not so great if you are being dragged around without too much input!
More pics of the house please! (especially when you get the chairs. :-p)