Friday, 6 August 2010

When you live in a country where beer's cheaper than water, the need for running becomes apparent



Oh dear... what a picture. I thought I'd better put some photos of something other than my flat, so at risk of being boring, I have chosen this delightful picture taken yesterday evening by Chris at the first of several beers. This was Chris's 'night of not drinking' (read: 5 pints) and tonight is mine, as I could really do with a rest. Let's keep an open mind, shall we?

So yesterday was another day of finding out information, trying to process it and ending up being bewildered. I managed to arrange an internet connection (good thing) but this being the Czech Republic, there is no rush, so the engineers will not come out until the 18th (bad thing). At least there's a lovely wifi cafe next to my building - the Motor Cafe (it is better than it sounds). I put my languages to good use by arranging the internet connection in German, since it was the only language I shared with the sales assistant . However, half way through, my landlady appeared in the queue behind me and it turned out she'd come down to arrange the internet connection on my behalf! Bless her. So she helped me, and now it's (hopefully) all sorted.

After that I explored Flora, my nearby shopping centre. For those who know Southampton, think West Quay but 5 mins walk from my front door, and much quieter, and so I was very pleased to make this discovery. After 2 days of bureacracy and beer I decided some retail therapy was in order so I bought a range of t-shirts to get me through the impending 30 degrees plus weather due to be arriving tomorrow.

Yesterday afternoon was spent in the happy company of my 'Czech step by step' self study guide which I acquired in the shopping centre. I learnt 'Co znamena ...?' (what does ... mean?), 'Jsem z Anglie' (I'm from England) and 'Jak se jmenujete?' (what's your name?). And other assorted unpronounceable phrases. This afternoon I shall undertake lesson 2, which I believe contains hotel vocab and some foods. Interesting!

And last night I met Lyn, another new EISP colleague, and her entourage of partner, sister and friend who helped her bring all her suitcases here. Park was visited, pizza was eaten and beer was tidily put away. Which brings me to this morning's 11am awakening - the time by which I had eaten breakfast, done some washing and most extraordinarily of all, BEEN FOR A RUN yesterday.

Well, here's to the weekend - who knows what startling Czech incidents it may hold. See you on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    Was speaking with someone in work today, apparently there is a good 'rock' club in Praha called 'The Wagon' (or just Wagon). May not be indie enough, but worth a look if you are interested! :-D


    Happy you remembered the title. But what about that other phrase we learnt? :P

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete