Monday, 16 August 2010

POZOR! Thunder and lightning!

I agree that some photos of the Great Prague Storm of 2010 as witnessed last night would be more interesting than a photo of my new chairs, but I was scared of water-damaging my camera by getting it out in the middle of the rain deluge! So new chairs it is. (The one on the left was constructed by Chris as a demo, the one on the right by me, so I know which one I won't be sitting on!).

Last night's storm has to be my main talking point today, simply because it was just fantastic! Not since the Grand Canyon (another story) have I seen such powerful lightning, heard such thunderous thunder (ok, I'm tired and my adjectival power is waning) and got so utterly drenched in the rain. You know that photo a couple of posts ago, of me coming home in the rain? Well, let me tell you that that was 'a light shower' compared with last night's downpour.

And the most amusing part is, for the first instalment of the storm which apparently produced marble-sized hailstones, I was locked away three floors down in the basement of a gig venue watching Beirut play a fine set, and so I and the rest of the crowd had no idea what was going on outside ! Until the stage manager pulled Beirut offstage early due to 'a leak coming through and water falling on the amps, and therefore danger of electrocution'! The crowd and I were thinking, hmmm, a leak? Dodgy pipes? But then we got up the stairs and released a collective 'aaaaah!' when we saw what was going on.

This will be a short post due to a) the internet cafe closing now around me and b) the fact that I need to brave a Czech post office between the impending hours of 18.00 and 19.30 to collect my mysterious package, which wouldn't fit in my post box and so the postman left me a complicated Czech notice telling me (I assume) about it. Wish me luck - more blog tomorrow when I am hopefully much less tired.

Love to all (and better weather) x

No comments:

Post a Comment